Back in the day, asphalt shingles were the go-to option for roofing material. However, as roofing technology developed, more long-lasting and durable roofing solutions were made available on the market. One of them is standing seam metal roofing. Because of its impressive advantages, this type of metal roof is now considered a hot commodity by residential and commercial building owners.
What Is Standing Seam Metal Roofing?
This style of metal roofing raises the seams above the roofing level itself. The panels run continuously from the ridge of the roof down to the eaves; and between the panels, there are seams attached together by mechanical fasteners. Having raised seams on the roof is particularly useful because the system deflects water-related issues.
Elements of Standing Seam Metal Roofs
- The standing seam roof system utilizes seam fasteners that are 0.5 inches to 1.5 inches high. The seam fasteners are hidden from the roof surface, allowing the ridge to run smoothly from top to bottom.
- The main forms of metal roofing are based on sheet-like panels. They can be either prefabricated—panels assembled under factory conditions—or directly formed on the construction site.
- Metal roofs, widely used flat roof systems, are primarily manufactured from aluminum or steel. The roof panels are usually 12 to 19 inches wide.
Advantages of Standing Seam Metal Roofing
- High seams: Since seams are considered potential entry points for moisture, having them raised above the level of the roofing panel is a smart way to reduce damages.
- Fewer seams: The standing seam system has no horizontal seams running along the metal panels.
- Cool roof: Metal can reflect radiant heat from the sun, and most roofing systems include insulation. Improved energy efficiency in the roof means controlled temperature levels inside the home.
- Rain and snow shedding: Since metal surfaces are hard and relatively slippery, they tend to shed rain and snow quicker and easier.
Planning to install a shingle roof or standing seam metal roof? Gulf Coast Roofing can help you. Our dedicated team of specialists will readily take on your roofing project, no matter how big or small. Call us at (850) 203-2270 or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation.